Global Wellness

Chiropractic Care | Lewiston, ID | Joan P. Burrow DC NMD


Leave a comment

Eating Organic Significantly Reduces Pesticides In System

At our office we strongly encourage our patients to detox and eat healthy. Having toxins in your system can cause multiple health problems. We are very excited about this study, which will hopefully bring to light how bad toxins, including pesticides, can really be for you.

A new study published in the journal Environmental Research found that eating an organic diet for a week reduced pesticide exposure.  The research was led by Dr. Liza Oates, who examined pesticide metabolites in the urine of 13 individuals who consumed a diet of at least 80% organic over 7 days, and a diet of conventional food for 7 days.  Dr. Oates’ team found that the total pesticide metabolite levels were reduced by up to 96% by eating organic, with an average reduction of 50%.  This study shows that eating an organic diet can reduce the exposure to chemicals that have been associated with health risks.  As stated by Dr. Oates, “Recent studies have raised concerns for the health effects of these chemicals even at relatively low levels.”

It’s nice to see a study showing that choosing organic can make a significant difference in your toxin levels! Hopefully this will bring forth more research in this area.


5 Comments

Studies Find High Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

Need another reason to dislike High Fructose Corn Syrup? We’ve found one.

Studies have found that High Fructose Corn Syrup is contaminated with mercury and made with toxic chemical catalyst that can burn a hole in your stomach. Here are a few articles that give more information:

The Washington Post

“Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.”

“Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered.”

To read this article Click Here

 

WebMD.com

“Overall, we found detectable mercury in 17 of 55 samples, or around 31%,”

“Mercury exposure at high levels can harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system. A form of mercury called methylmercury is particularly risky to a baby’s developing brain and nervous system, according to background information from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).”

To read this article Click Here

 

Natural News

“Beyond the link to detrimental health effects, another danger from this ubiquitous ingredient comes from the toxic chemicals that are used to turn corn into corn starch and then finally into HFCS. One of these chemicals, glutaraldehyde, is a toxic chemical used in industrial water treatment systems and to sterilize medical equipment by killing living cells. It’s also a well-known embalming chemical. It is toxic to the human body and causes eye, nose, throat and lung irritation (asthma, sneezing, wheezing, burning eyes, etc.). It can also cause drowsiness, dizziness and headaches. (http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/glutaraldehy…)”

“The bottom line? If you love eating a highly-refined liquid sugar made with the use of hazardous chemicals and often contaminated with brain-damaging mercury, eat more high fructose corn syrup!”

To read this article Click Here


1 Comment

Have you ever thought about sugar as a toxin?

Have you ever wondered why in America there is such a problem with obesity, cancer, and other major illnesses? Do you believe that part of the problem could be the food we eat? We do. The food we fuel our bodies with is not always what is best for us. One thing that is not always best for us is sugar and Americans are eating more sugar than ever.

In recent history, we have gone from 20 teaspoons of sugar per person per year to a staggering 150 pounds of sugar per person per year. That is half a pound of sugar a day for every man, woman, and child in America. The average 20-ounce soda contains 15 teaspoons of sugar, all of it high fructose corn syrup. And when you eat sugar in those doses, it becomes a toxin.

In an article in the Huffington Post, Practicing Physician, Mark Hyman, MD warns against the dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup. He goes into detail on how it is processed, the “weird” chemical toxins in it (including Mercury), and how it affects the human body.

Some of our favorite portions where:

“If you want to stay healthy, lose weight easily, get rid of chronic disease, and help reduce the obesity epidemic, the single most important thing you can do is eliminate high fructose corn syrup from your diet and from your children’s diet. Just banish it from your house.”

“In America today, we are eating huge doses of sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup. It is sweeter and cheaper than regular sugar and is in every processed food and sugar-sweetened drink. Purging it from your diet is the single best thing you can do for your health!”

“What we know, for example, is that chloralkali is used in making high fructose corn syrup. Chloralkai contains mercury. And there are trace amounts of mercury found in high fructose corn syrup-containing beverages.”

“So, high fructose corn syrup is the real driver of the current epidemic of heart attacks, strokes, cancer, dementia, and of course, Type 2 diabetes.”

To read the whole article Click Here